According to George F. Koob, PhD., the NIAAA director, “more than 23 million adults in the United States have struggled with problematic drug use”. If you’re one of these people you can get specialized help from Marnie Zang Katularu, LPC, MSC, NCC at Saguaro Behavioral Health. Substance abuse is a dangerous disorder that negatively impacts every aspect of your life and your relationships with others. If you’re ready to get control back and heal, call the practice or schedule an appointment online today.
What Is Substance Use Disorder?
The Diagnostic Statistic Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 5) defines Substance Use Disorder as “patterns of symptoms resulting from the use of a substance that you continue to take, despite experiencing problems as a result.”
The DSM 5 criteria for diagnosing Substance Use Disorder is:
- Taking the substance in larger amounts or for longer than you’re meant to.
- Wanting to cut down or stop using the substance but not managing to.
- Spending a lot of time getting, using, or recovering from use of the substance.
- Cravings and urges to use the substance.
- Not managing to do what you should at work, home, or school because of substance use.
- Continuing to use, even when it causes problems in relationships.
- Giving up important social, occupational, or recreational activities because of substance use.
- Using substances again and again, even when it puts you in danger.
- Continuing to use, even when you know you have a physical or psychological problem that could have been caused or made worse by the substance.
- Needing more of the substance to get the effect you want (tolerance).
- Development of withdrawal symptoms, which can be relieved by taking more of the substance.
Substance abuse causes symptoms and behaviors including:
- An urger or need to use substances regularly
- Needing more of a substance to feel the same effects
- Obsessing over your “supply”
- Spending money allotted for other things such as rent, food, etc. on drugs and alcohol
- Withdrawal symptoms
- Missing work or family obligations due to drugs seeking, use or withdrawal
Substance Use Disorder changes your brain chemistry and creates intense cravings and obsessive thinking that becomes difficult to control. It can also alter decision-making and judgment.
What Causes Substance Abuse?
There are a variety of things that contribute to the development of a Substance Use Disorder, both environmental and biological. Length of time using as well as amounts used will change your brain chemistry which will create strong cravings and higher tolerance as time goes on.
Other risk factors include but are not limited to underlying mental health disorders, peer pressure, a personal history of abuse or trauma, and using drugs at an early age.
How Is Substance Abuse Treated?
Saguaro Behavioral Health offers customized individual and group therapy sessions to help you identify underlying issues that have contributed to your substance use disorder. Saguaro behavioral health also has a team of experts in the field of addiction they refer to for medicated assisted treatment (MAT). Call Saguaro Behavioral Health or schedule an appointment online today to start the journey of sobriety.
Ready to Get Started?
We treat many different issues and mental health disorders at Saguaro Behavioral Health. Please call for a free 15-minute phone consultation with one of our therapists to see if we can help!
Call us at (480) 588-7422 or fill out the form below to have us contact you.